Re: will get back to you Re: headers attribute debate

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:59:57 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
CC: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

Preston L. Bannister wrote:
> On 5/28/07, *Al Gilman* <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org
> <mailto:Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>> wrote:
>     At 6:06 PM -0500 27 05 2007, Laura Carlson wrote:
>      >
>      >Advice from WAI and the PFWG on the potential accessibility impact of
>      >the absence of the headers attribute for HTML 5 would be appreciated.
>     Thank you for this question.
>     Tables have historically been a source of access problems.  We put
>     some features in HTML4 and there is now enough time past to take
>     a fresh look.
> As you say, enough time has gone by - it would be useful to see a brief
> write up of "lessons-learned" from those folk involved in
> accessibility.  What works well? What turned out of little value? Where
> is the greatest gap felt between what we have and what is needed for
> accessibility?
> Or does such a missive already exist?

With regards to "what works well", headers seem to be the ones best
supported in current screen readers.

(hence the feeling of some accessibility folks that not having those
attributes included in the current HTML 5 spec was a bit...premature)

Greatest gap probably is complexity for authors, which authoring tools
haven't really made much of an attempt at bridging (almost sounds like a
case for ATAG, I'd say).

Patrick H. Lauke