Re: Accessibility tests of Australian University homepages

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:06:19 -0400
To: Tim <dogstar27@optushome.com.au>, WAI Interest Group list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

At 10:34 AM +0100 5/9/07, Andy Laws wrote:
>I am sorry but how can any one with a site such as
><http://www.hereticpress.com>http://www.hereticpress.com advise any
>body on web accessibility, this is the most inaccessible site I have
>ever come across. Yes it meets all the w3c standards, but it
>accessible? No. it is estimated that in the UK that up to 10% of the
>adult population suffers from some form of cognitive disability and
>with a population of 52milion that amounts to some 520,000 users in
>the UK alone, are excluded from using your site. Due to your choice
>and use of color, I have tested your site through

FWIW, I don't think it's the most inaccessible site ever, but it does
have some issues.

1) I do object to the looped animated logo as the default style.
Animations are distracting to people with certain cognitive
disabilities (and it's a bit vertiginous).

My recommendation would be to have the logo loop once or twice, then stop.

BTW - Just because a bad color choice or endlessly looping animation
comes from a CSS stylesheet doesn't make it any better...

2) As for colors, I think people are objecting to the neon orange and
purple effect because it is tending to produce a visual vibration
(because of simultaneous contrast)  and simultaneous contrast can
reduce legibility.

I think the same is happening with the cyan, green and purple text so
close together. Most of the colors are 100% saturated so are prone to
simultenous contrast. If you use this as a default color scheme, I
might scale back the saturation (little shifts can make a big
difference).

if you're not sure...just ask someone prone to migraines what he or
she thinks. The whole site is making me a little nauseated (sorry to
be so candid).

I can see though that you got in all your ALT tags and headers. This
is a great step, but as you can see, it's just part of the equation.

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.

210 Rider Building II