Accessibility tests of Australian University homepages

From: Tim <dogstar27@optushome.com.au>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:21:46 +1000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Dear WAI Interest Group,

This is my first post, but I am a bit of an accessibility vetran, a
political activist even at testing government and educational websites
for accessibility and then displaying the results for the public to
see. Any critical comments on my work are most welcome.

I just finished an accessibility test of Australian University
homepages, some universities have supported my work, others refuse to
acknowledge me and claim I am being aggressive in these reviews. Is
there a better way to go about promoting accessibility? Training
courses seem such a waste of time to me, an excuse for a sandwich
picnic. Through this page in the last two weeks, I have managed to get
three Universities to improve their homepages for W3C validity, but not
much movement yet on accessibility.

64% of Australian Universities passed Priority One WCAG 1.0
accessibility tests.
11% of Australian Universities passed Priority Three WCAG 1.0 Checlists

In a previous 2006 study comparing the accessibility of government
sites in the UK USA and Australia, I found that generally UK sites had
fewer html validation errors and more accessibility features than USA
or Australian sites.

Study  design
Australian government web site tests
USA sites tested for S.508 compliance
UK sites tested had fewer errors and more accessibility features

Yours Faithfully

Tim Anderson
The Editor
Heretic Press