Non-data tables and accessibility

From: <Anna.Yevsiyevich@kohls.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:06:45 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello All,
I am wondering what happens in this scenario:

Let's say I have a table that is used for layout (yes, I know I should use
CSS, but it's a work in progress).  This table has text and links.  The
links are being read by JAWS, but not the text.  Could one of the reasons
be that the table structure is a contributing factor to the text not being
read?  Also, because the links are being read, is it because JAWS is
looking for the <a href> and reads that?

Thanks for your help,
Anna

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received.  Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages to or from authorized Kohl's Associates at any time
without any further consent.