RE: correct use of tfoot

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:29:42 -0800
To: "'Antony Tennant'" <antonytennant@yahoo.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Antony Tennant wrote:
> Here are my questions:-
> 1. Is the initial example accurate i.e a repeat of the thead cells
> (assuming the size of the table warrants it)

This is/has been my general understanding, that the <tfoot> "echoes" the
<thead> so that there is <th> reference points at both the top and bottom.
However, I don't think the W3C specifically *mandates* as such, and I can
now think (based on the thread you quoted) that there would be no reason why
the content of the <tfoot> could not be *somewhat* different.

For example, if you had a long, matrix style table which tracked, say, sales
by department over 12 months, then I suspect it would be appropriate to have
the following:

      <th>Dry Goods</th>
      <th>{total Sales figure}</th>
      <th>{total Sales figure}</th>
      <th>{total Sales figure}</th>
      <th>{total Sales figure}</th>

> 2. If there was a general footnote relating to the table data, e.g
> "The charge will be refunded if the item is return undamaged" or the
> footnote was relating to a specific cell or column rate e.g *free
> delivery if purchased before 01/12/2006

Hmmm... I would be careful that content of the <tfoot> was not *too*
disassociated with the columns and rows of your main table - I do not think
it is intended to be a "footnote" style construct - it is an integral part
of the overall table.

> 3. Does anyone have any good real-life examples I could look at

I have used <tfoot> (along with CSS overflow on the <tbody>) on the table
http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=43  (note, the CSS overflow apparently
only works in Firefox - neither IE 7 not Opera 9 seem to support it)