Re: [WebAIM]: a translation question ...

From: cstrobbe <Christophe.Strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:47:46 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Matthew,

Quoting Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>:
<quote>
Use of simpler language in the original text will make translation to a
foreign tongue _much_ easier.

In fact, this could be a handy test; if language is hard to translate
to a foreign one, maybe the original version needs review.  (I will
refrain from making any references to the inaccessible language of WCAG
2, oops - I just did...)
</quote>

I'm not going to argue that WCAG 2.0 is easy to read, but several
people, including myself, have translated (sections of) working drafts
(see http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/#translations). For me, finding Dutch
counterparts for technical terms in the document turned out to be the
most difficult part. Some of the comments I submitted were based on
this kind of effort, but it isn't easy to provide suggestions that are
easier to read and at the same time technology-neutral and precise.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe