Re: [WebAIM]: a translation question ...

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:02:09 +0100
To: "Chris Harpin" <chris@castus.co.uk>, "'John Colby'" <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>, coordina@sidar.org, "'Matthew Smith'" <matt@kbc.net.au>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:54:16 +0100, Chris Harpin <chris@castus.co.uk>
wrote:

> ... if a client expects their
> site to be to a certain accessible standard but then plans to use
> automated translation software to produce in 7 additional languages.
>
> Would I be correct in referring to the WCAG pointing out that this
> action is highly likely to reduce the accessibility of the site for
> non English speaking users?

I would think this is blindingly obvious, but yes, you might need to point
it out. If your language usage is excellent, and you have an excellent
translation system you understand very well, you might not have a problem
in practice. Although as someone reasonably competent in the relevant
areas I have never seen anything actually work out like that and would bet
a large sum against any real scenario turning out problem-free.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com