Re: Public vs. Private information

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:53:37 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
CC: gawds_discuss@yahoogroups.com

John Foliot wrote:

> My concern (and theirs), the issue, is a visual clutter... If I need to echo
> back the same "private" icon (currently a "lock") 20 times it will become a
> visual overload - I can't get buy in here.  Bold text however does stand out
> without the same visual noise.  How do I convey this distinction in a
> non-visual way is the conundrum.

Hide the additional "private" bit via CSS. If it were a table, hide the
entire column (or rather, every TD from that column and the associated
TH). In your case, why not just stick a <span>(private)</span> in there
and have CSS that hides (off screen left, not display:none) any span
inside a dd.private?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/