Alternative text

From: Matt Lee <matt.lee@nhs.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:10:32 +0000
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Is there any information that is not set in stone regarding alternative
text for images, (ie. alt attributes)?

Currently, there seem to be a few different schools of thought on the

* All images, besides 'spacer' images and other such images that are not
meant to be seen should have alternative text. All images, regardless
should have a alt attribute, though it may be blank.

* Images that are content, links, contain text (ie. a company logo) or
are in other ways used for interaction should have alternative text, but
images that are used on a page of text, such as a photo of a member of
staff on a profile page, would not have alternative text as they are

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this, as we seem to be
struggling to understand this.

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please
inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you
for your co-operation.