Re: More data on accesskeys (New article written Nov. 1)

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 04:30:33 +1100
To: Andy Mabbett <andy_mabbett@birmingham.gov.uk>
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>>         <link rel="home" href="http://www.example.com/index.htm">
>>>         <link rel="search" href="http://www.example.com/search.htm">
>
>> I agree with the concept, but I don't agree with using the <link>
> element.
>
> Why on Earth not (and that *is * the concept, BTW)?

As I saw it, the concept was the use of the rel attributes to provide
the semantics, not specifically the use of the <link> element.

The <a> element should be used here instead because there's usually
always a link to the homepage using an <a> somewhere on the page, so you
may as well use that.  Also, <link> is often invisible metadata (without
the widely unused link toolbars), and so should generally be avoided in
favour of <a> where possible.

> If, for example, the author has used <link rel="home"> then they have, de
> facto, specified the home page, in relation to the page being viewed.

How is that functionally different from <a rel="home">?

> Why should three not be an easy way for a keyboard user to reach that page?

There should be, but why does it have to use link?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/