RE: More data on accesskeys (New article written Nov. 1)

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> Again,  my proposal is precisely the opposite. The user would
> configure their UA, once, regardless of which sites they subsequently
visit.

Sorry Andy, I hadn't got the <link> in the <head> aspect, reading too
quickly!

That has been proposed before, I can't find it now but I'm sure the used
to be an article about it (on WATS.ca?). It also used to be implemented
in Opera and Mozilla, but so few people used it I think it's hidden away
now. (It's called the "navigation bar" in Opera under view > toolbars).

In it's included in the ARIA roadmap as the HTML equivalent to their
main XHMTL path:
http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/#landmarks
(Another reason I was confused about what you were suggesting.)

One important distinction is that this would go to another page:
<link rel="home" href="http://www.example.com/index.htm">

Whereas the landmarks in ARIA are aimed at navigating within a page:
<link rel="x2:navigation" href="#bottomnav-links" title="Quick Links">
http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/#fig3

So long as the definition of keys moves away from the web developer,
I'll be happy...

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--
Alastair Campbell         |  Director of User Experience

Nomensa Email Disclaimer:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html