Re: Language changes and abbreviations in alt and title attributes

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:54:58 +0900
To: sylvie.duchateau@snv.jussieu.fr, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:36:13 +0900, Sylvie Duchateau
<sylvie.duchateau@snv.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Do you know if there is a means to specifiy language changes in a alt
> attribute or in the title of a link?
> For example, if the alt of an image is : "Welcome to the Musée du Louvre"
> how can I specify that "musée du louvre" is in French?

You cannot specify that the title or alt are in a seperate language. You
can define the language of an img element, for example.

> Second, if I have a link title or an alt attribute containing an
> abbreviation how can I expand this abbreviation?
> Example: alt="UNO Homepage" title="UNO Homepage"
> How can I specify that UNO means United Nations Organisation ?

You can't.

> If there is no means to specify language changes or abbreviations in alt
> or titles, how can I meet checkpoints 14.1 and 14.2?

By not using abbreviations in alt or title attributes, and by working out
how to ensure that any given part of a page that has alt etc is only in
one language.

Or using something like SVG, where this *is* possible...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com