  From: Jim Thatcher
  To: 'Antony Tennant' ; 'Michael S Elledge'
  Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:11 PM
  Subject: RE: a single label where multiple fields follow

  Hi Antony: Comments in line marked with <jt>

  Jim

  Accessibility Consulting: http://jimthatcher.com/
  512-306-0931

  So with this in mind, still assuming visual design dictates they are
  multiple inputs and using the scenario of date of birth (3 inputs,
  dd,mm,yyyy) or credit card (4 inputs), would you consider it better to have

  1. a label for each input and for the additional inputs to position there
  labels off screen not using "hidden" in the class namimg convention (not
  sure if this would always inform the user the data is split across field
  when they encounter the first input)

  <jt> Not clear what you intended, But you cant put the label "date of birth
  (dd,mm,yyyy)" and any single input - it does not make sense. I would
  probably use "day of birth", "Month of birth", and "year of birth" for the
  three hidden  labels.</jt>
  or

  2. having a label for the first inputs and titles for the subsequent inputs
  (I seem to recall reading that it is not advised to use both, but not sure)

  <jt>Again, I can't imagine a workable visible label for the first field. It
  is ill advised to use both title and label on any one control. Screen
  readers get confused - it seems. Use title or label. Text of title attribute
  could be same as above.</jt>

  or

  3. not have a label for the first input but have titles for all inputs (only
  where multiple inputs apply, all remaing 1 to 1 ratio would still use
  labels)

  <jt> I think I have answered this - in both the above cases. Use hidden
  labels or title attributes in all cases where one visual label covers more
  than one control. ... What am I missing? </jt>

  or

  4. there is a better way

  hope I have been clear on the scenrios but it confuses me which to go for

  Antony