Re: a single label where multiple fields follow

From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:17:12 -0400
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Antony Tennant <antonytennant@yahoo.co.uk>

title is not adaquuately supported by at and many browsers.

On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Antony Tennant wrote:

Hi

I would like to get some opinions on the best practise for assigning
<label for""> to inputs where there are multiple inputs for example
for telephone numbers, sort codes, credit card numbers. I have had a
look at the friends of ed book "Web Accessibility" and my
understanding is that the title attribute should be used for the
additional fields and <th> where possible.

Picking examples from websites, what would the best approach be
(assume the fields cannot be changed to a single field)

For a credit card entry that is split across 4 fields, what would be
placed in the following titles where below there is "????"
<label for"creditcard">credit card number</label><input type="text"
id ="creditcard" title="first 4 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text"
title="????">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="????">&nbsp;<input
type="text"  title="????">

For a telephone number, would this be acceptable ie the label to the
first field that has a title and the sceond field with a title.
<label for"telephone">telephone number</label><input type="text" id
="telephone" title="area code">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="local
number">

For a bank sort code
<label for"sortcode">sort code</label><input type="text" id
="sortcode" title="first 2 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text"
title="middle 2 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="last 2 digits">

Any further guidence would be appreciated

Thanks

Antony