JAWS assistance

From: Virginia Shedden <vshedden@2degreesresearch.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:14:11 +1000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All

We recently conducted a round of usability testing for a client and included
a small sample of motor and vision impaired persons to
identify potential accessibility issues.

We identified the following issues with the site when using JAWS: 1. The
significant use of links throughout the website was tedious; 2.
The skip to content link not was not functioning; 3. The lists encountered
(e.g. the bulleted points) were not identified by JAWS;
and 4.  Participants had a tendency to overlook the Left Navigation headings
(which were important to the overall navigation of the site)
because they habitually avoided links and skipped to the main content areas.

We were wondering whether these types of issues are specific to JAWS, or
could be generalised to other screen reading software (e.g. Windows
Eyes)?

I would greatly appreciate your expertise on this matter.

Best regards

Virginia