Re: linked list alternative to nested menus

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:08:06 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> language.  Do you mean that the things we commonly refer to as
> navigation menus don't belong on web pages?  For example, a table of

Yes.  In many cases they belong in the <link rel=contents> resource.
In my view, the primary reason that this is not the case is that the
early Netscape browsers took the position that they were using the free
funding for Mosaic to get themselves into the page description market,
and compete with Adobe, so thought about how to make pages pretty and
gives authors primary control of presentation, rather than exploring
the concept of a world wide web at the information sciences level.