Re: linked list alternative to nested menus

From: Paul Novitski <paul@juniperwebcraft.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:21:55 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

At 03:19 PM 3/10/2006, David Woolley wrote:
> > As an alternative, I'm considering a series of linked lists instead
> > of one complex nested list.  In the following example, the Products
>The basic problem with this is it violates the concept of a markup
>language, i.e. that you take a valid plain text document and
>decorate it.  PDF does use this sort of structure, but whilst it
>is textual (it looks binary only because of compression) it isn't
>a markup up language.

Wow.  It sounds like you're asserting that if I put any content in my
document that would not be there if it weren't a Hypertext Markup
Language document, I'm violating the concept of a markup
language.  Do you mean that the things we commonly refer to as
navigation menus don't belong on web pages?  For example, a table of
contents hyperlinked to the contents?  Or a summary table of contents
linked to a more detailed table of contents hyperlinked to the contents?

If I'm understanding you correctly then I suspect that you and I are
swinging from the branches of different trees, possibly even in
different forests.  But I'm probably just misconstruing your
intention, so please elucidate.