Re: LIFT Text Transcoder

Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net> wrote:
> The fundamentals of a dynamically generated text-only website are wrong,

> and the end result is no better than the start result, and typically is
> worse.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between having the server
dynamically produce the text only web page and the results of browsing the
page with the text only browser, such as Lynx?

Isn't this just really a "when" and "who" statement or functionality?
Putting the assistive technology on the server can actually provide some
assistive functionality to the users who don't have the assistive
technology on their client.  So the benefit and usefulness is dependent on
the paradigm of who's client and when they are getting the content, before
or after server transformation.

For example, the real difference between the LIFT transcoder and the text
only browser such as Lynx is in the assistive functionality between the
two.  If LIFT has more capabilities that Lynx, then the Lynx user is at a
disadvantage if they don't use the LIFT dynamically generated page -
simple as that.  If the assistive capabilities of Jaws or Windows Eyes or
ZoomText are greater that the LIFT server capabilities, which I will argue
they are, there is actually a disadvantage to the
Jaws/WindowEyes/ZoomText/AT user to use the LIFT transcoded page instead
of the non-transcoded page.

So, is there anything wrong for a company to offer a dynamically text
generated page - not in my mind. In fact, it may offers functionality to
users who don't have the functionality on their client.  But, let's not
confuse the difference between what can be done on a server vs what can be
done on a client.  A server side assistive technology transcoder will
never, in my opinion, replace or duplicate the functionality of the client
side AT such as Jaws or ZoomText, but it sure can be helpful to clients
who don't have either..

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Worldwide Accessibility Center