RE: LIFT Text Transcoder

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:06:07 -0500
To: "'Martin Stehle'" <pewtah@snafu.de>
Cc: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Martin,
>Maybe because the WCAG are more extensive?
That is not the point. Yes certainly WCAG are adopted by orgs. And
governments. I never argued against that nor said S508 are better than WCAG
or that WCAG should be ignored. Indeed paragraphs a through k are directly
from WCAG 1.0. But in addition certain rules  from S508 too which are not
reflected in WCAG 1.0 have their merits.
Sailesh Panchang
Hello Sailesh,

> So I do not see why they [S508] cannot become standard elsewhere if
> one chooses to implement them.

Maybe because the WCAG are more extensive?

> So if an organization or country adopts certain portions of the S508
> rules and packages them as something that they recommend, they will
> remain guidelines. If enforced more strictly like a set of
> regulations or law, they become standards.

Did you mean with "standards" conditions de facto or de jure?

Martin Stehle
--
Martin Stehle, Web Development
mailto:pewtah@snafu.de