(unknown charset) Re: LIFT Text Transcoder

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Phill Jenkins wrote:

> Bob said:
> "... and to
> determine what is appropriate compliance it turns to the ATBCB for
> guidance and they reference back to section 508 and W3C/WAI level 3"
>
> Can you provide a specific URL web reference where is says or implies
> this?

no.  but if someone is sued for non compliance for access to a site based
on 504 or ADA where do you think they go to for guidance.???

in the USA there are really only two places that are "independent" and
that is the Board and W3C/WAI      there are no "official" links that I am
aware of.

Bob

> [...]
> a site's content." While a worthwhile guideline, this provision was not
> included because it is difficult to enforce since a requirement to use the
> simplest language can be very subjective.
> The Board did not adopt WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 1.3 which provides that
> "[u]ntil user agents can automatically read aloud the text equivalent of a
> visual track, provide an auditory description of the important information
> of the visual track of a multimedia presentation." Although the NPRM did
> not propose addressing this issue in the web section, there was a similar
> provision in the multi-media section of the NPRM.
> The Board did not adopt WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 6.2 which provide that web
> pages shall "[e]nsure that equivalents for dynamic content are updated
> when the dynamic content changes." The NPRM had a provision that stated
> "web pages shall update equivalents for dynamic content whenever the
> dynamic content changes." The WAI stated in its comments that there was no
> difference in meaning between the NPRM and WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 6.2. The
> NPRM provision has been deleted in the final rule as the meaning of the
> provision is unclear.
> A web site required to be accessible by section 508, would be in complete
> compliance if it met paragraphs (a) through (p) of these standards. It
> could also comply if it fully met the WCAG 1.0, priority one checkpoints
> and paragraphs (l), (m), (n), (o), and (p) of these standards. A Federal
> web site that was in compliance with these standards and that wished to
> meet all of the WCAG 1.0, priority one checkpoints would also have to
> address the WAI provision regarding using the clearest and simplest
> language appropriate for a site's content (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 14.1), the
> provision regarding alerting a user when there is a change in the natural
> language of the page (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 4.1), the provision regarding
> audio descriptions (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 1.3), and the provision that web
> pages shall "ensure that equivalents for dynamic content are updated when
> the dynamic content changes (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 6.2).
> The Board has as one of its goals to take a leadership role in the
> development of codes and standards for accessibility. We do this by
> working with model code organizations and voluntary consensus standards
> groups that develop and periodically revise codes and standards affecting
> accessibility. The Board acknowledges that the WAI has been at the
> forefront in developing international standards for web accessibility and
> looks forward to working with them in the future on this vitally important
> area. However, the WCAG 1.0 were not developed within the regulatory
> enforcement framework. At the time of publication of this rule, the WAI
> was developing the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. The Board
> plans to work closely with the WAI in the future on aspects regarding
> verifiability and achievability of the Web Content Accessibility

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net