Re: LIFT Text Transcoder

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:54:28 +0100
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:23:48 +0100, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Adaptive Technology International wrote:
>> Does Section 508 can serve for international standard for the web
>> accessibility issues?
>
> It's not a standard, and it only applies in the US to federal agencies.
> It's meaningless outside of the US...the WAI guidelines are a far more
> universal set of general recommendations (again, not a standard,
> although some pieces of legislation in certain countries do mandate
> specific WAI WCAG levels of compliance, despite the fact that some of
> the guidelines are in serious need of an update).

Yeah, I think that WCAG is a better document than Section 508, especially
in terms of what it offers to end users, and it is certainly much more
widespread than 508. it was also developed through an open and transparent
process, so you can find out if something was apparently removed for
technical reasons or because someone didn't want to implement it and
managed to convice people that they shouldn't ask for it.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                     chaals@opera.com