Re: Proper ALT values for thumbnail images

From: Martin Stehle <pewtah@snafu.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:14:10 +0100
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hello Randal,

> My initial thought is that the ALT should include the description of
> the image,

Right, the alt-text is the text equivalent for the image. Imagine you
tell somebody through phone what you see: this is the alt-text.
(shortcut: WYSIWYT => What you see is what you tell :-)

> but then should it also say to click on the image to see
> the larger version?

This is the value of the a-tag's title-attribut.

In theory.

In praxis, not every screen reader would speak out title values. Or a
person able to see but browsing with images off would not understand
that the alt-texts are clickable. So, an alt-text like image
description plus " - click for large image" is helpful. I can imagine
another way in adding a notice "Click on any image to see its large
version" before the image list, this would reduce redudancy.

Martin Stehle
Martin Stehle, Web Development