RE: "untill user agents" retired?

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:09:49 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patrick wrote:
> In general, I'd love to see the issue you mention addressed not by
> maintaining "until user agent" guidelines, but by strong lobbying
> to get the manufacturers of these non-compliant user agents to follow
> UAAG and support web standards. Otherwise, we may as well include long
> sections on "how to deal with IE5.0 and Netscape 4.x" in the
> guidelines as well...

Definitely, there are simply too many user agents and input/output
devices for it to be practical to try and support the details of every
single one.

For me, that is *why* the W3C standards are so important: everyone
should know their bit.

It's only when the user agents do their part that the WCAG guidelines
become practical for authors.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development
0117 929 7333       |   ac@nomensa.com

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html