Accessible Internet Banking: Australia

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:27:10 +1030
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All

Can anyone comment on the current situation regarding the accessibility
of Internet banking products in Australia?  I'm using CBA for my
business banking - they seem to be sharpening up their act (works in
Lynx at any rate), but would be interested to hear about the others.

I'm about to vote with my feet from my Credit Union - poor usability was
one thing, the frames-based system with graphical links (no alt text)
really annoyed me (a blank screen in Lynx is not a good way to win
friends), but the final straw was a secondary verification process using
scripts and icons (no alt text again and a horrible image map).

Whatever may be happening on an accessibility front in the banking
sector, it would be nice if the Internet banking call centre staff were
briefed so that "accessibility" doesn't mean "I want my password reset".

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Web Application Development