RE: Accesskey Re: <span> within a word any issue for screen readers?

Thanks John.  Indeed if I were doing them, I'd do them differently,
these are ones occurring across campus.  But Let's look at them again.

-Greg

>Franseth, Greg wrote:
>>
>> * We have an online style manual which uses strikeout and caps to
>> emphasize correct spellings of commonly misspelled words.
>
>How do you convey this to non-visual users?

In this one, I don't see a way short of a re-write.  The non-visual
users simply get a list of misspelled words without the indication of
where that misspelling occurs that visual users get.

>> * We often capitalize or change font on UK (for University of
>> Kentucky) when it appears mid-word because we're so clever :-P
>
>How do you convey this to non-visual users?

Good question.  Any suggestions?  All the ones I come up with would
entail breaking up the reading of the word which would be worse.  (e.g.,
lUcKy becomes l capital U c capital K y read out)

>> * We have a friendly competition with a fellow University.  The
>> competition name is colored half in blue and half in red as a result.

>How do you convey this to non-visual users?

The text immediately following says something like, "a service
competition between the Universities of..."  The University connection
is the what which is conveyed in the coloring.  Do you feel more is
needed?

>> * We have a forum on Appalachia which underlines the word Appalachian
>> or a shortening thereof in its topics (example, lachian would be
>> underlined in a discussion of the Afrilachian poets)
>
>How do you convey this to non-visual users?

This one stumps me to.  The non-visual user is already informed that
these are all connected to Appalachia.  What would you recommend be done
at each point of highlighting?

I think if I understand what others might do, it would help me.  How far
is it appropriate to take this?  Is it your view that the different
colors in the Google lettering would have more than visual significance?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

-Greg