RE: <span> within a word any issue for screen readers?

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:26:32 -0000
To: "'Elizabeth J. Pyatt'" <ejp10@psu.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Elizabeth,
> This may be a dumb question, but does the same thing happen with
> STRONG, B, EM, and I? For instance, if I bold-face a letter with B or
> STRONG, will Window-eyes think it's a space?
Your post prompts me to think of a real world example where this AT
behaviour might cause problems. In user documentation, it is common to
underline the letter that activates a menu or other screen control in
conjunction with a modifier key: e.g. "Use the Print Pre<u>v</u>iew menu to
see what your file will look like" (or one could better use a styled span to
achieve same).
I agree with others that it is very frustrating to try and make things
better/more usable for people and be tripped up by unexpected or unwanted
behaviours.
Lois Wakeman
http://communicationarts.co.uk
http://lois.co.uk