Re: Use of pre-compilated text-fields in forms

When did a blank edit field become
On May 9, 2006, at 7:11 AM, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> Puting in an x or a word or two which if left in would return an
> invalid entry message would be the solution.

So people enter 5x instead? (For example.)

I don't consider that a good solution, as people then have to go through
the form again.

We have a conflict here of people using screen readers versus people on
Braille displays. (There are probably exceptions on both sides, but in
general there isn't a clear solution.)

When you have this, surely the best/easiest option for the general
populace should win out? In that way even sites which have no regard for
accessibility aren't tripping up on this checkpoint, and everyone is
following the same (defacto) method.

I just don't see the advantage for anyone in catering for a user agent
that doesn't understand basic HTML.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--
Alastair Campbell         |  Director of User Experience

Nomensa Email Disclaimer:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html