Re: Setting focus in a form and screenreaders

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:20:23 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Mike Brown wrote:

> I've been asked to create a form and on page load have the focus set to
> a particular field in the form. I've used some javascript to do that.
>
> It then occurred to me that a screenreader, on loading the page, would
> be immediately at the form filed and miss all the information before the
> field.
>
> I tested briefly in a demo copy of JAWS and found that to be the case.
>
> It seems to me this is a major accessibility issue for the form. Would
> an experienced screenreader user has some way of overriding this
> behaviour which would mitigate the problem? Are they any alternative
> ways of accomplishing the same thing?

The user could disable javascript, which is a bit like turning a light
bulb off with a hammer. On a side note, I personally find sites that
take away my control and "helpfully" focus a form field for me very
irritating...the amount of times I've visited www.dictionary.com,
clicked on the input, started typing the word, and *then* (as the page
takes a while to load) the javascript kicks in, focusses the input, and
on my next keystroke I erase anything I've typed in already as all my
previous text was selected from the field getting focussed...

I'd circumvent the issue by simply not auto-focussing the field.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com