RE: Site Maps and nested navigation

From: Stuart Smith <Stuart.M.Smith@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:26:33 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi

Thanks Julian, your view corresponds with my own considered feelings. The problem is in the case the client (an internal one) may well insist so it may have to be a compromise of long lists for screen readers.

Seems to me that the solution lies with the middleware producers, the screen reader and browser makers. Nested unordered lists essentially have a cascading structure, main section, sub-section, etc. This could be re worked in a screen reader to create an list with anchor points to allow skipping. It would of course would rely on good mark-up so it can be correctly interpreted but then doesn't everything!

Anyone else got a view?

Cheers

Stuart