From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Julian Voelcker
Sent: 07 December 2005 12:00
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Site Maps and nested navigation

Hi Stuart,

> ome menus like the
> dropdowns on Suckerfish

I've always avoided the drop down lists.  The problems are:

There is no consistent way of operating them across sites so can be confusing for the user. i.e. do you click to expand a menu or hover over a menu item. Also bear in mind that people are either used to the menus on Macs or PCs which operate differently.

It is a lot of overhead to be carrying around on every page.

They are confusing to use from a screen reader point of view due to the vast number of links.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom