Site Maps and nested navigation

From: Stuart Smith <Stuart.M.Smith@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:27:49 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Guys and Gals

Be interested on some opinions here. Most site maps with good mark-up seem to be an unordered list with nesting and some menus like the dropdowns on Suckerfish [http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/example/] essentially degrade to unordered lists with nesting when used with a screen reader or with style switched off. The problem this creates though is long lists of navigation with no means of skipping through for screen reader users.

I cannot think of way around this without using anchor tags. This is not so bad for site maps but would be a problem for dropdown menu's etc as it would add a fair bit of text and break the flow for sighted users. Unless I hid them in background but that would limit their availability.

I would have hoped that because they are nested lists then a screen reader would have let you skipped from section to section but that does not seem to be the case in Homepage Reader.

Any ideas anyone?