Re: WAI compliant CMS

From: redazione nonsolocms <redazione@nonsolocms.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:14:27 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hello Bruce,
let me briefly answer your question...

I've got a "shortlist" of CMSs to look at for accessibility:
>  * Drupal

Ok for small and medium content websites (not really good for commercial
sites)
It is simple to reach an high level of accessibility with some PHP hacking

* Joomla!

(aka Mambo) One of the most famous CMSs around. A lot of modules and
plug-in available. Not ok for accessible websites (it uses tables in the
core,
no accesskeys, backstage GUI fully not accessible) you need heavy hacking
for that

* eZ Publish

Ok for accessibility: templates can be developed in minutes. But it's a
really "heavy" and cpu-consuming CMS... even with turck-mm-cache (a php
optimizer) you still experience slow pages

* SPIP

isn't it a template engine?

* TYPO3

really flat learning curve: it uses TypoScript for internal programming and
extension
of functionalities, and it's not simple to learn. People who have a good
knowledge of
this CMS say that you can do almost everything with it; it's like Plone, but
written
in PHP

* WordPress

this is not really a CMS, but a blog manager... do you need a blog?

* Xaraya

poor backstage interface, not so powerful. Accessibility? You need to
build your own template and hack some "core" functions to get a Level 1 (P1)
accessible website

Do you have any experience of these, especially in terms of creating WAI
> compliant templates for them?

My experience with these CMS is due to our work at
nonsolocms.it<http://nonsolocms.it>(it means
"not only CMSs" eh eh) and because of some production installations we made
for some clients! They asked us to test a bunch of products, included the
ones
you asked here above.

Have a nice day,
lorenzo.