RE: Stats about JavaScript availability

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:52:12 -0000
To: "Jon Dodd" <jon@bunnyfoot.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Does anyone know a source of reliable statistics concerning
> use of JavaScript (relates to several WCAG 1.0 checkpoints of course).

As always, the caveat for these stats is that the site you're working on
may well be different.  The only (free) place to get that type of stats
(that I know of) is thecounter.com:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/September/javas.php

However, I think their method of establishing JavaScript may have
changed, as there have been a couple of dips, e.g:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/May/javas.php

Given that they use JavaScript to gather the stats, you have to take
that with a pinch of salt. I'd still say it's important to have a fall
back; of the 3 browser I regularly use, my phone's JavaScript support is
non-existent! However, that's not strictly an accessibility issue.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html