RE: links to mp3 files

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:55:23 +0100

> John Foliot - WATS.ca

> >  If it's an audio version of a talk/presentation (a "podcast",
> > though I hate this term "du jour"), you should for instance
> provide a
> > web page - (X)HTML/CSS/etc) - with a transcript.
>
> ... Or provide a SMIL version as well?

Although I love SMIL (see http://www.skillsforaccess.org.uk/casestudies.php?id=162 )
I'd say it's still not a panacea. Support can be flaky, and if you just
provided a SMIL there's no easy way to, say, just get the text (and then
the text itself is in a pretty unstructured format). But yes, by all
means, if at all possible you could add it as yet another option, in addition
to the original link to the MP3 and the link just to the text transcript in HTML.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk