acronym and abbreviation markup - insert full stops??

From: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@signify.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:20:13 +1300
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi all,

I was discussing markup for abbreviations and acronyms the other day and it was suggested that it might be useful to add in a full stop between each letter, where the term should be pronounced letter by letter rather than phonetically, so as to force screen readers to do so.

For example <acronym>B.B.C</acronym> for BBC.

I am a bit reluctant to do this without knowing how screen readers would deal with it, and if adding the extra full stops would be any improvement.

Apologies if I'm going over old ground - did search on the list archive but found nothing specific.

Cheers,
Rebecca Cox