RE: Tables and the Summary attribute

--On Friday, September 23, 2005 8:10 AM -0500 Jim Thatcher
<jim@jimthatcher.com> wrote:

> Since a screen reader will be announcing row and column headers as
> they change when the user navigates the (data) table, I think the
> summary = should
> alert the user about what to expect in that regard by providing a
> brief description of the (data) table structure.

Back when the W3C home page used a layout table their summary attribute
was something like: summary="Layout table: The first cell contains a
navigation bar of W3C technologies, the second contains news, and the
third another navigation bar of W3C pages."

Laura
Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN  55812-3009