Re: Tables and the Summary attribute

Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:

>>As a side note, not that I use tables for layout, but if you
>>need to, I would use a blank summary attribute for layout tables.
>
> I have a hard time agreeing with this advice.  This seems no more
> sensible than standardizing on summary="layout" (ok, it would be more
> language independent).  How about if you are using a layout table, don't
> use the summary attribute at all?

I guess you're right.

Until I refreshed my memory, I was under the impression that the title
attribute was required by (X)HTML. I suppose I should have checked first!

However, you could argue that it's like adding a blank alt attribute.
Sure, this would mainly be used for decorative images, which are not
necessary these days, so I suppose it could be a null point now.
However, you could argue that it's like saying "no, I haven't forgotten
about the summary attribute, there's just no need for it on this table".

I guess that's just the way I do. It doesn't do any harm as far as I  am
aware.

Jon