CSS 3 color module and deprecation of "system" colors

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:41:03 +0100
To: "'public-evangelist@w3.org' w3. org" <public-evangelist@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, "wsg@webstandardsgroup.org" <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>

Apologies for cross posting, but: could anybody shed some light as to
why system colors have been deprecated in the CSS 3 color module?

In my recent testing on Windows browsers, I found them to be fairly well
supported and would posit that they can have quite a valuable role to
play in creating accessible style sheets that match the user's set
colour scheme / preferences (e.g. if a user has set their Windows
environment to High Contrast, a web page can be styled to follow that

Patrick H. Lauke