Re: Screen reader support for languages other thank English

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:35:50 +0200
To: "Rebecca Cox" <rebecca@signify.co.nz>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:22:17 +0200, Rebecca Cox <rebecca@signify.co.nz>
wrote:

> Does anyone know what sort of support there is for languages other than
> English, using screen readers?
>
> I'm in New Zealand and am interested in whether there's any support for
> Māori - not sure this list is the best place to be asking about this!

(yes, Maori is a relatively old code, since it is an offical language in a
country).

You may want to look at open source systems based on MBROLA / festival or
similar if you want a Māori screen reader - I don't know if anyone has
done the work but as I understand it Māori is written in a realtively
phonetic manner, so shouldn't be all that difficult to work with for a
voice developer.

There is a voice group at W3C, and a lot of the people in that are working
in the area of speech synthesis. But I don't know in particular if there
is anything currently available - presumably New Zealand and perhaps
Hawaii would be the places to look around...

Windows has a whole lot of support for languages it handles well, but
there are other screen readers for languages like japanese, arabic and
hebrew that are little-known where people don't speak those languages
much. (Those three also have, in varying degrees, some interesting
complexities).

Finally, even where a system is available in multiple languages the
versions may not be synchronised - for example you can use some screen
reader version 27 in english, which includes the version 7 spanish engine,
or you can get version 7 in spanish that incorporates the advanced english
speech rules, or perhaps it is just sold as version 7 in spanish with the
old version 7 english engine too...

cheers

Chaals

--