(unknown charset) Re: Screen reader support for languages other thank English

From: (unknown charset) Terrence Wood <tdw@funkive.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:55:22 +1200
Cc: (unknown charset) Terrence Wood <tdw@funkive.com>, Rebecca Cox <rebecca@signify.co.nz>
To: (unknown charset) "'WAI-IG'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Windows XP SP2 has Maori language support, and I presume that
applications running on top of this can make use of that support.

I was going to say that the real gotcha is, AFAIK, you can't set the
lang attribute to Maori because it is not recognised in the language
std. But, I found this: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
where Maori has now got it's own language code. Admittedly it was 2003
last I looked.

So, the best you can do is to set the language code:
  or

...the rest is up to the OS and the screen reader.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.