RE: CSS nested list menus, how much is too much?

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:02:10 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Julian Voelcker wrote:
> The link they want could be number 75 out of 100 and then when they
> want to go to the next page in the list they have to tab through all
> the link again to get to the 76th link, and so on.

If the links are within a nested list, I don't think it's such a
hardship, screen readers (and visually without CSS) you can skip the
sub-lists that don't interest you.

I'm not a fan of drop-down menus for general usability reasons, but a
standard (suckerfish style) drop down list is technically accessible in
web terms, but tricky motor-skill wise.

The brothercake one is keyboard accessible, and even puts in a slight
delay like an OS drop-down (which Terrence mentioned), I'm not sure you
can fault it on accessibility grounds.

It's just something of a usability/IA issue when there are too many
items, which is an issue for everyone.

Kind regards,

-Alastair