RE: [WSG] implicit / explicit labels which is better?

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:54:18 +0100
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

(copied to w3c-wai-ig for possible clarification of UAAG)

> Derek Featherstone

> > Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, K-Meleon all cope just as well with an
> > implicit label, making it clickable. Not sure about Safari...anybody
> > care to do a super-quick check?

> From what I remember, Safari doesn't support clickable labels at all.
> Not so cool. Mental note - look at the User Agent Accessibility
> Guideilnes to see if this is *required* or optional.

UAAG are not my forte, but I think the closest it comes to this is
Guideline 7. "Observe operating environment conventions" (though it only
refers to the user agent interface, but I assume the rendered content of
a web page is also covered by this?). Now, as I'm not a Mac person I don't
know if OS X's system wide convention for checkboxes and such (in things
like OS dialog boxes, for instance) is indeed that you can
click the label to activate/focus. At least on Windows, that is the case.

> Mental note 2 -
> send something off to Dave Hyatt to find out if this can be/will be
> fixed.

+1 from me on that one. I'll email Dave later today (if people can confirm
that it can be interpreted as a possible UAAG requirement, so it adds a bit
more clout to the request).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford