RE: <abbr></abbr> - use once or use many?

From: John Colby <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:19:19 +0100
To: "Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
For me, once a page - but because web pages are ephemeral and not read as journals would be, if the page is long then repeat the abbreviation at the beginning of a notional section within the page - where a person may start reading from. Another location indicator could conceivably be at the beginning of each hash navigation section which a robot may recognise.

If an article goes over more than one page, then repeat the abbreviation on every page.

As some screen readers parse the HTML of a page, putting too many <abbr><acronym> tags will limit understandability as then every occurance will be read.

Regards

John