Re: Inline link icons

On 7/22/05, fstorr <fffrancis@fstorr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22 Jul, 2005, at 06:05, Terrence Wood wrote:
>
> > Is the recommendation to open windows from the usability experts
> > based on actual observations with your actual users? If not, then
> > run some of your own informal tests to determine your users
> > behaviour, and proceed from there.
> >
> > If there is nowhere else that you open new windows then I think
> > consistency within the rest of your system is more important than
> > blindly following the advice of your usability consultants.
> >
> > As an aside I'm not entirely convinced that Patrick's assertion
> > about user behavour with PDF/WORD plugins is correct (despite the
> > fact he is usually correct :) - sure some users might close windows
> > - but is that really what the majority of people do?
> >
> > regards
> > Terry Wood.
> >

> Hi
>
> The usability company did observations and interviews with users so
> it'll be based on that + their previous experience with the same
> area.  There are some legacy pages on our intranet with links that
> open in new windows, but we took the decision some time ago to stop
> coding these and also to remove as many offending links as possible.
> Moving forward, the only links that will open in new windows will be
> PDF/Office and, you're correct, it won't be consistent.  Patrick's
> assertion is apparently correct, at least according to our usability
> company.  I personally don't believe that the majoirty of users do
> this, but am prepared to be proven wrong.

Word's behavior in this case is always inconsistent since opened
within the browser it changes the interface and allows for editing.

Given that Word and PDF documents don't allow for Stop, another
fundmental open and given that video/audio doesn't play in place, I
would say non-page media should always open up in a new window.

As an aside, what kinds of things are being presented as Word and
Office documents?

--

Orion Adrian