RE: Inline link icons

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:40:35 +0100
To: "WAI list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Lois Wakeman

> *There may be a good reason in your case of course, but I
> don't know what it
> is.

If it's anything like the situations in which I've been asked to do
this sort of thing, I'll hazard a guess and say that the reason
lies with the default settings in Acrobat and MS Office to open
documents straight in the browser. People are used to closing the
PDF/Doc/etc once they've read it, not realising that the back
button would take them back to the site - and thus they lose their

Of course, part of me would argue that it's the user's responsibility
to set up their system so that it doesn't do that sort of thing if
it's confusing to them...but on the other hand, I can see the point
of those trying to counter the potential problem by forcing a new
window to open.

Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford