WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 10.4

From: Gautier Barrere <barrere@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:24:48 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi all !

I have one question concerning the checkpoint 10.4 :
If you use forms : "Until user agents handle empty controls correctly,
include default, place-holding characters in edit boxes and text
areas."

It's quite easy to respect this checkpoint is I use drop down menu...

But how can I do if I use radio ou check button ? (for instance for
the gender choice, between, "man and woman")

I should do a choice by default, for instance "man" but it won't
ensure relevance of the data gathered (Indeed, I'm sure that a lot of
women won't change this, even if they will respond to my form).

Do you have any solution to my problem ?

Thanks.

Gautier