Re: Serving XHTML as XML

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:21:34 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Gez and all

Gez continues with this one:

"XHTML isn't properly supported by the majority of current user agents
at this moment in time."

This is true if we are talking about XHTML as XML and the reason why
both of us only serve XHTML with mime-type "application/xhtml+xml" to
the very "newest" browsers and "text/html" to the "old" ones.

The statement is not true if we talk about XHTML served with mime-type
text/html.

W3C uses XHTML as text/html on their homepage and for "HTML Validator",
"CSS Validator", "Quality Assurance at W3C", and for hundreds of other
webpages at their website.

They would probably only do that because XHTML served as text/html poses
close to no problems to any browser in the real world, and have not done
so for several years.

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov