Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: david poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:18:32 -0500
To: "David Dorward" <david@dorward.me.uk>, "W" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I think David put it eloquently enough, buttons are for actions, links are
for references.  The reason this is so confusing is that it has been miss
used for so long.  I see it more and more for instance, in my bank, there is
a link to submit your choice of what action to take.  on the jaws home page,
there is a link that they call a button but which jaws its self reports as a
link to go to the home page.  If it is a link, it should be a link, if it is
an action it should be a button, if it is a reference it should be a link.
I have no issue at all with a table of contents being populated with buttons
if we are going to associate actions with them.  I think this is part of my
issue with that dreaded word.  go, submit, any act should never be a link.

Johnnie Apple Seed