Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:32:58 +0100 (CET)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On 18 Feb, David Woolley wrote:

>>   Why should that be a button?
>
> Buttons are actions, links are references.  I realise that web

  Does this mean that any case of

  is to be replaced by a form and a button?

  With all due respect, that sounds rather far out.

> the guidelines request that link text referring to different resources
> not be the same.  Whilst the prime culprit is "click here", "sort by"
> would be another example.

  My example did specify "sort on number" for the link text - I don't
  see how this is in any way a violation of the specified guideline.

  In fact, a number of links along the lines of "sort by phone-number",
  "sort by first name", "sort by address", and similar would seem to me
  far preferable to using buttons.

> Actually, in this case, its arguable that this is not really a request
> to sort on the fly, in which case a link would be semantically correct,
> but the grammar is wrong; the link should be "sorted by <heading>".

  Which is what I suggested, yes. Using a, frankly silly, link named
  "sort by" above a column and leaving the visitor to figure out that
  *this* link sorts *that* column would not be an option.

> If one wants to have the control adjacent to the parameter of the
> source, I would still say that the conceptual model was an on the fly
> re-sort and it was therefore an action, requiring a button.

  *Where* the control/link is placed is really of no concern to me. What
  my original question referred to - and I am sorry if I did not make
  this clear enough - is whether one can automatically classify the use
  as a verb in a link as "wrong".

  That idea I don't believe I can agree with.

   [+46] 0708 557 905