From: "ADAM GUASCH" <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

2/17/2005 10:53:35 AM >>>

>In the liniar approach, we would easily split the page into areas and

>provide the ability for all to see who wanted to see them the ability
>directly access the area of interest.

In this approach, what would be the first page element the user
encounters (ignoring the logo for now)? Would it be the global site
navigation? The service area navigation? The content? Or, as I think
you're suggesting, the table of contents you mentioned earlier in the
discussion, linking to the three main elements?

> We could even have one page for nav
>and a link to that page on each other page.

A reasonable solution for a non-sighted user. Unfortunately, not at all
realistic for a sighted user. There are many advantages, for both the
user and the owner of the site, to being able to quickly obtain an
overview of the site as a whole, and of the section of the site
currently being accessed, at a glance. Far too many advantages to make
it reasonable to remove that information to a separate page, requiring
the user to follow a separate link to obtain it. (This is, of course,
not universally true - some sites, or sections of sites, might benefit
from this approach, or at least not be harmed by it. But very few, in my
opinion.)