RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: Jamal Mazrui <Jamal.Mazrui@fcc.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:17:39 -0500
To: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras@loc.gov>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I also find navigating by heading to be efficient -- in fact, if the
first heading begins the main content of the page, I find it to be the
quickest way of getting there with JAWS (Just one press of the H key).
I seem to get better results with the skip-navigation huristic of JAWS
by doubling the default setting from 25 to 50 characters.  This still
often does not work, however, so I appreciate a skip-navigation or
jump-to-main-content link when heading structure is lacking.

An advantage of the JAWS "quick navigation keys" like H for the next
heading or N for the next non-linked text is that they can be pressed
during the initial continuous read of the page, and the reading will
then continue after the navigation.  This is most efficient, as it
eliminates the need for separate keystrokes to navigate and then read in
context in order to know whether the skip-mavigation attempt worked.